Poetry

We were writing poems last week in class. For this introduction to poems this year I tried to stress three main aspects of poetry: poems look like poems, poems are usually about things for which you feel strongly, and there are very few rules with poetry.  What do you think? Are those three the most important aspects, or would you stress other aspects of poetry?

Also, here’s my personal contribution to the poems that were written in class last week.

Bored
by Mrs. T.G.

Bored?

You are bored?

How can you say you are bored?

Seriously.

Seriously.

You mean you have NOTHING to do?

Seriously.

Are you so DULL that you can’t even thing of ONE thing to do?

Not ONE thing?

Not one book to read?

Not one sentence to write?

Not one science experiment to try?

Not one puzzle to make or solve?

Not one story to imagine?

Well, then,

You should not say you are bored,

You should say you are boring.

4 thoughts on “Poetry

1. Wow! Thanks so much for your insights, Caroline! I especially like the idea that, “Poetry packs a punch: each word is important in a poem. Make sure it counts.” I’m going to SHARE this comment with my kids next year as we introduce poetry! So many good points!
    Thank you, thank you!
    -Mrs. T.G. 🙂

2. When I taught poetry, I made sure to emphasize these things:

Poetry packs a punch: each word is important in a poem. Make sure it counts.

Poetry is meant to be seen and heard: something special happens when we can both see the way a poet has chosen to structure their work and hear it at the same time. It’s an art form that, in my opinion, is most richly experienced when expressed both visually and aurally.

Poetry paints mental pictures: words and images are intertwined, another reason to both see and hear poems.

Poetry is driven by emotion: a reader should feel the emotion at the heart of a poem without being told how to respond.

Poetry is the click of a camera: poetry captures one moment, one scene, one idea and holds it for its reader to examine again and again.

3. Hi Denise,
    Besides the kids in my room, this poem was also in reponse to many ADULTS that say, “I’m bored.” 😉

I am “hit and miss” with my blog lately. I tend to write more in the summer, but will write occasionally throughout the year. I use my site most often for my summer classes.

So glad to see another NW Iowa teacher plugged in, online, and blogging. Have a great week!
    -Michelle

4. Hi Mrs. T.G.,
    I like your poem. You’ve said what I think many times in response to my junior highers! I didn’t know you were blogging, so now I have a new blog to follow! 🙂 Are you taking a break?

Take care,
    Denise